Just a Small Town Girl...

Hey there, welcome to Peach Tea & Passports, two of my favorite things. Peach tea is a Godsend and have passport, will travel!
Poke around and get inside my head as far as I've allowed...I promise I don't bite unless provoked.

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Leave Behind Your Diamond Bracelet


Day 7. A picture of your most treasured item.


I understand that there are two different rings in this picture but so what. My blog, my rules.

The ring on the left (my right hand) is from my baby brother (the youngest of my three brothers). He gave that to me for Christmas when he was probably three years old. As our family expanded (and we were all two little to have jobs and a plethora of spending money), our parents began a tradition of picking each other's names out of a hat and buying that family member a nice gift for Christmas. The first year we tried out this plan, Jonathan got my name in the hat and even though he was pretty young, wanted to get this ring for me when him and Mommy split up from us in the department store to find a nice present. : ) It's one of my prized possessions and I only take it off when getting my hands in batter and sometimes when I'm playing the piano.


The ring on the right of the picture (my left hand) is a purity ring from my parents. I had one prior to this but after losing about 30lbs in high school, the ring grew way too big for my finger and kept falling off. After one particularly epic snowball fight down the park, I could not find the ring anywhere and despite my friends' and my best efforts, we just could not find it again. There were trips made down to the location throughout that winter and spring but to no avail. My parents got me a new one for Christmas the next year and, as with the ring from my brother, I only take it off for baking and piano playing.


Today was a lot of fun: 50th birthday celebrations, fire alarms going off in the restaurant and watching the firemen go in and out of the kitchen as we attempted to enjoy our meals (the people who had received their food already), owning that E minor chord on the guitar again and discovering Mumford & Sons (um, how did I make it this long without hearing any of their music??). Being with the family and close friends is always a good time, despite the normal peculiarities and quirks! We love each other with all the faults and idiosyncrasies =) "That one's p...."



"When winter comes

Along these shores

Old Hollywood

We're knocking down

We're sifting through

We are the actual tigers

When winter comes

They leave behind us"

("Ice Age", Pete Yorn)

No comments:

Post a Comment